Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Why Momma Bolivia?

Why Momma Bolivia?

My family and I after many years wanting to  go to South America finally had the chance  to go 2010-2012.  It was the most amazing experience ever!  We had chose Cochabamba, Bolivia.
It was a little over whelming at first. We didn't speak Spanish and its a 3rd world country.
Lots  of poor people, dogs and trash.  That's  all we saw at first. But pretty quick we realized Cochabamba had so much more.  The people of Bolivia are beautiful, kind and very simple.
They had so little yet gave so much.  They weren't critical of our Spanish or our selfish American ways.  For example, we, like most Americans when we are thirsty buy a drink, drink it and think nothing else about it. They buy a 2 liter and several cups and share it. Amazing concept!
Cochabamba, Bolivia
We learned so much from them and we are so appreciative of our time there.  I learned to make my own yogurt,  cut a chicken properly without screaming. The chickens there aren't sold frozen or in packages, rather whole with their heads and feet still attached.  I learned to bake amazing wonderful bread at an  altitude of over 9,00 feet.  That was a challenge.  I learned that being a minority can be overwhelming.  I learned to love the simple things like not owing a car and walking to where I needed to go. So much  to recount.

We are back to the US. We have been for a year now.  Its been a challenge but with our friends love and support we are fully functional.  My son is finishing High School, my daughter is engaged and my husband is working hard.  Me, I haven't really started back to work. I've been living in the past and hoping each day we might return to SA.   It hasn't been a great year, so now with the new year approaching I thought I might try something different. Make some new and exciting experiences and see what I might learn about myself  and others around me. Find the true beauty in simple things.  I want to share them with you and hopefully you can share your interesting  experiences with me.
So why Momma Bolivia, because Bolivia is now part of me, forever. Like one of my children it will remain dear to my heart. For now while I am here in the states I will just keep clicking my heels until one day I get to go back to what became my home.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I get to make the first comment on your blog, woohoo! :-)
    We look forward to reading your posts. Be seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete